18 November 2011

Mini Barn

I remember walking to the Mini Barn as a young child with my mom and some neighborhood friends to buy candy while my dad played softball nearby. That little red barn was a part of my childhood in Idaho and then something horrible happened and it shook our small town. A man abducted and killed a store clerk and then killed two more people in the span of three weeks. The judge ordered an execution for two of the murders and a life sentence on the other. I admit that I do not like seeing pictures of this man in the news because he looks so evil. He was executed this morning which is Idaho's first execution in the past seventeen years. I could write all my thoughts and feelings on life in person vs death penalty but instead choose to think of the victim's and their families on this date.

2 comments:

Ralph Mortensen said...

That Mini Barn will always be a part of our memories. The road is wider and the Barn is gone, but as we pass by we still remember the good and the bad. We miss the Barn, the candy and they did have a good Deli (The chicken was great).
Life is full of mysteries and excitement. We continue on in the best way that we can. We know so little and feel so much.
This time of year we think more of the Thanks that we feel. As we continue on may we remember the words of Tiny Tim, "God bless us, Every One"!

courtney said...

This made front page news for weeks leading up to Friday. I really struggled with it everyday when I saw it. The picture (which they also printed, on the front page, daily) is so creepy. I couldn't help but be heartbroken for the victims' families and for his own family as well.