22 November 2011

Genuine Giving

The lady next to me at the gas pump got out and began talking to the gas station attendant and I overheard the following conversation:

"Can you help me?"
"Sure. Would you like me to pump the gas?"
"That would be great. You see, it's been awhile since I have done this."
"No problem. We're here to help."
"Thanks. It's been 17 years since I have pumped gas. My husband usually does this for me."

At this point, I had finished filling up my car and began to drive away and thought about the conversation. I checked to see if the woman was from Oregon aka the state where you don't pump your own gas but she was definitely a Utahn. It's certainly possible that she is from Oregon and was driving a family members car but that doesn't make much sense. Why would the woman who hasn't pumped gas in seventeen years volunteer for gas duty? Whatever the reason may be, there she was, doing something that someone else usually takes care of.

The one thing I do know is that this woman's husband loves her and it reminds me of my parents. I can't remember the last time my mom filled the car with gas. Sure, my mom could take care of this but it's just one of many ways my dad shows my mom that he cares. And I think it takes courage to be on the receiving end of such simple acts of services as well. I see it almost daily in my own life. I can be a fiercely independent person and know that I really trust someone when I allow them to pump gas, or change light bulbs, or switch wiper blades, or make meals, or let them be privy to not only my joy but also my sorrow.

3 comments:

Ralph Mortensen said...

"It is more blessed to give than to receive." We all want to be on the giving end, but as a Bishop once told me,"you need to be willing to receive so that others can give. That way two are blessed." At this time of Thanksgiving we have so many memories brought to light. Thanks for what you do Sheels. You are truly a Blessing! We love you. Dad

Lohra said...

Shelley, I will pump your gas for you. Especially if we're on our way down for a BYU men's volleyball game. :) ...not that I'd make you drive...just that...uh...er...

Lynda Lee said...

Hi Shel, this is actually sylinda but i am on my moms computer...I love this post! its hard to be the receiver, I have to train myself...love you