13 November 2011

First Class Ticket to Mates of State


Several weeks ago, my friend Taylor invited me to the Mates of State concert with he and his friend Hawken. I went back and forth because I have seen Mates of State and while they are great live, I didn't know if I wanted to spend the money for the show. In hindsight, I definitely got more than I paid for and would gladly pay more to experience the night again.

We started at Trio and Taylor gazed awkwardly at a tray of spicy bread wondering if it was for everyone. Luckily, the chef stopped what he was doing and let Taylor know he could eat the bread. Then it came time to order and the guys both decided on the butternut squash ravioli. No big deal. Except, that I ordered first and I chose the ravioli. Maybe we were trying to make it easy on the waitress so all she had to say was, "Your ravioli is almost ready."

After dinner, we made our way to Hatch's Chocolate where my chocolate allergy became part of the conversation as I ordered a steamer with gingerbread flavoring. Delicious. The new place is great for treats and people watching, including the cute matching clothes couple who were clearly on their first or second date.

We finally made our way to the concert and things continued to get interesting. Upon entering, we showed our ID and a couple who had already been inside, stood in front of us to pay for the concert. They turned to us and said something about being in first class and the pursuit to join first class began. We made our way inside and a random guy approached, asking how we were doing and we said fine. He continued staring and said, "I'm also doing good. Thanks," and then he walked away. The first class couple asked Taylor to take their picture and we continued to chat whenever they left first class and joined us in business class. The dancing around us was fantastic and I can't wait to show my new moves at the next party. A couple favorites include the guy who didn't move during the entire concert and the full body dancer who reminded me of Elaine from Seinfeld. Taylor was right behind this guy and it was fun to watch him avoid a head butt from the unpredictable dancing. I can't leave out the guy folding his arms and tapping one finger in beat to the music. And don't get me started on those who struggled to find the beat while dancing.

At the end of the night, I think we all found our calling in life. Taylor will be a professional photographer. Hawken will be the hype guy stringing ivy on the mic stands and preparing the crowd for any given concert. He may also play the trumpet if called upon. And I will clearly be the lead singer in a band.


1 comment:

Taylor said...

What a night...I don't know what else to say. Although, you did fail to mention the guy who tried to squeeze his way in front of us because his (drunk) wife is 5'2". Excited for more concerts to come!!!