26 July 2011

If I Could Turn Back Time

It is written that Galileo was watching the movement of a chandelier in a cathedral and began to research the laws of pendulum motion to determine the exact period of a pendulum. A pendulum must be kept steady for accuracy and is easily swayed by environmental forces, much like our own lives.
I find it fascinating that parts of a clock are referred to as the 'face' or the 'hands.' Clocks are our time keepers, ever reminding us that time does indeed march on. How I can be in a meeting and time seems to slow down but when I am enjoying time with family and friends, our time together is over much too soon?
This concept became more clear as I spent time with my family this past weekend. Minutes seemed to pass ever so quietly and I found myself longing to freeze every moment. I was drawn toward old photographs and family journals and at first, I concluded that I simply wanted to remember the early days and recall stories from the past. And then it hit me. I was really trying to get the history back. To be able to view a photo and be transported to that time to relive all the feelings, thoughts, and wonders stored in the print.


"We write to taste life twice, in the moment, and in retrospection."
~Anais Nin


1 comment:

Deanna said...

Ooohh. I love that quote from Anais Nin!