28 June 2008

Sur la Table

My friend Andrea won a free cooking class from Yahoo's freecycle website and invited me to be one of her 5 guests. Andrea sent me an email with the menu and I was a little worried that I wouldn't like any of the food we prepared and I'd be forced to go home and make another meal. We sampled babaganoosh, cheese and crackers, and vanilla bean lemonade while waiting for all of the chefs-in-training to arrive.
Chef Scott made a chilled tomato soup and then we split into groups of 2 and each group was in charge of one recipe. I was partnered with Lisa and we made corn and tarragon bites. I chose this recipe because it seemed to be the easiest one and fail proof. The bites were delicious.
Andrea and Hilary were in charge of the vegetable cobbler. I don't like cobbler so the idea of a vegetable cobbler made me want to throw up. Chef Scott felt the same way and he described the veggie dish as a pot pie of sorts. I started to feel much better at this point and the color returned to my face. Andrea asked about the K-9 pepper and I was so confused until I realized she was asking about cayenne pepper. We obviously cook a lot.
Curtis and Kari were in charge of the pork chops. We all nominated Curtis to cook the meat and Andrea kindly pushed Kari to be Curtis' partner in the hope that they would find love while stuffing pork chops with a bacon and onion mixture.
We laughed a lot while cooking and I had a good time meeting new people and learning the cooking skills of a master. I even got Chef Scott to give me the recipes from his cookies and ice cream class. That's two classes for the price of none.

1 comment:

Brittney said...

Vegetable cobbler... that does sound disgusting - and I like cobbler. You crack me up, my friend Shelley.