13 June 2008

Father Rufus

Happy Father's Day
I was on the phone with Lucy and I heard Avry Shae ask you to fix her hair and it reminded me of the times you fixed my hair in the morning. You played basketball or racquetball, came home and fixed us breakfast and then drove us to school. I like going to the store with you because you know everyone and you genuinely care for people and want to know about their lives and people feel that. You are accepting and look for the good in others and help them to see it within themselves. You have a great sense of humor. You notice where you can be of service and you don't hesitate to shovel someone's walk, build a fence, or drop everything to give someone a blessing. You are the best listener. You ask questions and allow me to come to my own conclusions rather than telling me what to do. You are the one I call if the fridge is broken, I have a flat tire, or something is wrong with the vacuum. And yes, I am aware that there is little you can do hundreds of miles away but you are still the first one I think to call in those situations. I'll never forget gathering around your hospital bed and hearing you offer the family prayer for the first time after you had heart surgery. I love you dad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the ride and the memories.