21 June 2008

Cutting Out Cancer

I took a drive to Idaho for the weekend and participated in the Relay for Life which raises awareness and money for the American Cancer Society. The relay lasted from 7p Friday night until 7a Saturday morning with at least one team member walking around the track at all times. My sister was the team captain and our team consisted of The Villa salon and day spa girls, myself, our dad, and our Aunt Joyce. We loaded up on the free stuff which included band-aids, pedometers, fans, and sunscreen. There was a problem with the lights around the track so much of the night was spent walking in darkness. Around 3a, I became very tired and didn't know if I would make it the whole night, but I did.
My aunt Jacquie participated in the survivor walk and then my dad walked with her for the caregiver lap. My dad transported his sister to and from appointments, handled insurance issues, and was an amazing support while Jacquie was going through radiation and chemotherapy and continues to help as needed.
The Villa girls participated in a potato relay race and won. The prize? Idaho Spud candy bars. We also sang Straight Up by Paula Abdul and the crowd loved us. Everyone knew The Villa girls by the end of the night because of the hoodies we were wearing that said The Villa and because we sang, danced, and talked to other relay for lifers while walking. We had so much fun raising money for cancer that we are already planning for next years Relay for Life.

No comments: