29 February 2008

Suspended driving privileges


My supervisor came into my office this morning and said she had received a letter about me. So many thoughts ran through my mind as to what the letter could be concerning, but I was not prepared for the answer. "Shelley, the letter states that your license is invalid and as such you are not allowed to drive the company vehicle nor are you allowed to drive your personal vehicle for official work purposes until the matter is cleared. In addition, a letter from the Driver License Division (DLD) must be sent to HR stating that the license has been re-instated" I pulled out my license, and sure enough, it had expired a week ago.
Off I went to the local DLD office. As I pulled into the parking lot, I knew I wouldn't make it back to the office for a long time. The parking lot was full and I barely escaped a couple of collisions while trying to find a parking spot. I entered the building and I laughed...out loud. People stopped and stared at me. I assume they did this to everyone who walked in as their way of saying "Welcome to your life for the next 5 hours. Don't you wish you had a friend you could cut in line with?" I filled out the appropriate form for a license renewal and waited to be given a number. After about 25 minutes of listening to a mother and daughter argue in Spanish(I know enough Spanish to understand they were not happy with one another) and feeling claustrophobic for the 1st time in my life, I drove to another DLD office. A guy left at the same time I did and I felt as if we were racing each other. He was in the lead until he went straight instead of turning left onto 7th E which allowed me to get a number long before he arrived. Victory.
I had number 34 and the next number called was 9. An older man next to me gave a little cheer each time we got closer to my number. The husband and wife on the other side complained about the wait while I sat patiently because I knew the line was longer at the 1st office I went to. People came and went and it was now my turn. Panic hit. Immediately I thought: Oh no, I only have one form of ID. Please don't ask for another form of ID or else I'm going to have to try using my Costco card. Ed B. was very helpful and I knew I'd be fine as soon as he asked which part of Idaho I am from. He was so excited when I told him Blackfoot as he proceeded to talk about potatoes and how much he loved driving from Pocatello to Idaho Falls. Then he noticed my mom's maiden name is Bingham and he was even more excited because his last name is Bingham. Renewing my license was much more enjoyable at this point. I had my picture taken and refused to sign my name again. "Ed, I'm left handed and when I write my signature, my hand smears what I write so I'd rather not try again."
Three hours and at least three hundred less brain cells later, I had my temporary license.

6 comments:

Leah Marie said...

I bet you remember before it expires next time. I'm just guessing. ;-)

Lohra said...

At least you didn't have to take a test. Do you know how many feet you should give between a biker and your car? Exactly...

SHELLS BELLS! said...

I believe it is 3 feet.

My Three Sons said...

Maybe cut down on the DUI's?

I mean.. it's just a suggestion.

Kristen said...

I should state, the above comment was from me. Sometimes I forget I'm signed in as my sister so I can blog-stalk her friends.

Christina said...

how fun for you shell. I tell you life is just one adventure after another.