18 August 2011

The Summer I Was Twelve And Older

I spent a week in the Northwest visiting my brother and his family. In the days before I was to leave the city of salt, I learned that my brother was in the another state and had to stay there until the work equipment was working properly.  I was saddened because we had plans to attend his work party the night of my arrival so I surprised when I arrived at the airport and received an unexpected call from my brother saying that he just landed in the land of port.

I have heard so much about the Intel parties and was excited to see if it lived up to all the hype. I am accustomed to state parties so attending my brother's work party blew my mind. Horse rides, mini golf, swimming, slip 'n slide, dodgeball tournament, and oh so many prizes. I had no shame in running up a hill to receive a towel, t-shirt, umbrella, and other prizes.

The Oregon Gardens was next on the agenda and they did not disappoint. At one point, I tried to take a drink from what I thought was a drinking fountain but then saw the "Do not touch the fountain" sign and quickly moved away from the area. Actually, the truth is that I knew it was not a drinking fountain but it sure looked like one.

We went to an Oaks Amusement Park for 2 for 1 Tuesday and I purchased my ticket, got one for free, and a lady in line offered to buy the extra one for more than it was worth. I let her know the actual price and she insisted on paying an extra $3.  Noelle insisted on holding me hand on one of the rides-so adorable. Brin was a daredevil and wanted to go on all the 'big' rides. 

Our next adventure was at Evergreen Wings & Waves. We climbed 111 steps and entered a 747 where the slides went out of the plane. When we first arrived, Clay and I picked a random slide and it was so dark and fast. Tennie Jo and I screamed like little girls when two lifeguards entered the funnel portion of Nose Dive soon after us and it appeared we would collide. The Mach 1 was supposed to be the most daring, but proved to be the most calm. The wave pool was intense and I would like to return for the 'Dive-in Move Night.' The kids area included a helicopter filling a bucket with water and then dumping onto trees and everything in its path. Noelle didn't want to get drenched but she encouraged me to stand right under the bucket when the water rushed out. I'll do anything to remain the favorite aunt. I think it's safe to say that the girls were exhausted after spending the day at Wings & Waves.

The visit went by too quickly and soon it was time for me to return to my life in the 801. I miss seeing the girls at swim lessons each morning, going to a movie with Tennie Jo, and enlisting the help of Jose the finger puppet when it was time to clean. If asked nicely, I may even sing one of Jose's songs. I'm counting down until my next visit. 

1 comment:

Tennille said...

Thanks for the memories, and FYI, Jose is still MIA.