11 August 2011

I Believe

It was my turn at the register. The cashier turned, looked at me, and asked, "How is your day?" I've never been more grateful for the sunglasses worn upon my face as a few tears began to form while every emotion from the week began to surface. I was taken aback by the question and yet I felt the kindness and sincerity in those four words. I paused and then replied, "good, thank you." She continued to look at me and then announced that she would be giving me a discount. I tried to decline graciously but to no avail. The discount was given, I thanked her repeatedly, and then I was on my way. I left determined to be more interested in people. To have a heart for all and a focus on the one.

Around this same time, a friend asked to come by for a visit and knew just what to say without knowing any details of the past week. That of hearing horrific events occurring in a person's life to watching others bear heavy burdens and fighting to rise above the feelings of being abandoned and forgotten.

I believe that just as I pray for blessings in my life and for opportunities to serve others, I  must be open to receiving those whom may become an answer to my vocal or oft times silent pleadings.

7 comments:

Deanna said...

Hope you're feeling better! *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Oh shell...so sorry! I wish I could help...please let me know if you need to visit. love you

Sara T. said...

Seriously, Heavenly father has a plan. I have been struggling for the past few months and these next two are going to be super hard. Yet, oddly enough people keep coming out of the woodwork that make me think or well know that our Father knows what we need. It actually lead me to feel compelled to ask if I could teach a lesson in R.S. I just feel like my message is one I need to share since I am not afraid to and a lot of other people are. Seriously, you are so strong you can do anything! <333

Lohra said...

...are you suicidal? :) I'm proud of you. You know what I mean.

Unstoppable Lindsey said...

I love those days, but the getting to those days, yup, I could do without. But then things like this happen and the sweet in the bitter is SO nice. You are incredible and I am lucky to know you. Whatever it is that you are going through, just remember these days...and also remember that you have a friend here in DC!

Brittney said...

What a great experience! And I love how it inspired you to do something in your own life. Yep, that's just like you. You're good at stuff like that. I know what you mean about feeling abandoned and forgotten. For what it's worth, I think of you often (even though I'm far away in Indiana). Love you, Shelley!

Kami said...

You are so amazing Shelley! I just love you. Thanks for sharing this!