27 December 2007

Christmas Surprise


My parents and I were on our way to take Grandma Bingham home after the Christmas dinner we had at my aunt and uncle's house when I asked my dad to drop me off first. Dropping me off before taking grandma home wasn't out of the way so I felt fine about demanding, uh asking, my parents for this one little favor.
I was playing the piano when the doorbell rang. I looked through the peep hole and didn't see anyone. My first thought was "I hope I don't get shot when I answer the door." I must be watching way too many scary movies. I opened the door prepared to karate chop whoever dared come to the house on Christmas, but instead of a thief, I saw my niece Brinley with a bow on her head. She smiled at me and said Merry Christmas Shelley. I gave her a hug and we went into the house and of course I shut the door on my brother, sister-in-law, and niece Noelle. I didn't do it on purpose. I was so excited about seeing Brinley that I momentarily forgot that she probably didn't hitchhike to Blackfoot, ID. My brother parked their vehicle down the road so my parents would be surprised, but they saw Clay walking up the drive-way.
I think my sister and brother-in-laws reactions were the best. I rang the doorbell with Brinley by my side and Pip and Travista kept looking at Brinley and then at me. This is what I heard: "What?" "That looks like Brinley." "What?" "Wait. What's going on?" Finally my nephew Syden came into the room and said, "Hey, it's Brinney. I didn't think she was coming for Christmas. This is the best." My sister said she was trying to figure out where I had found a child and why I brought the child to their house. My sister must think I'm crazy.
Having my brother and sister and their family's home for the holidays was the best present of all.

No comments: