13 January 2011

All is Calm

Tonight I spent time with an almost 3 month old who has Spinal Meningitis and has had 2 brain surgeries and is stitched from ear to ear. This little one has been fighting for his life since Christmas and has had some major ups and downs in the weeks that have followed.

As I sat in his room, I found myself breathing deeply to soak in the peace that filled the space. Outside, I heard children crying, people talking, and the scurrying of feet as they hurried down the hall. But inside all was still as Grady slept. I often glanced at the monitors and said silent prayers for this gift from God that he would grow and develop and live a full life. That he would one day run and jump and play.

I watched the rise and fall of his chest as he lay sleeping and my attention was drawn toward him each time he made a sound. His little face is perfect and yet, on the inside of his body, a war is raging. Time seemed to stop while I was with Grady. No ringing cell phone. No tv blaring. No internet. I allowed myself to be in the moment and let the serenity permeate within.

Grady is a fighter.

6 comments:

Tennille said...

I wish I could have been there myself to sit with the little guy, but I'm so thankful you there. Velvet and Eli really appreciated the gift bag and games. It's the little things that mean the most when they're gone. Not just the shampoo, but each little rise and fall of the chest that we so often take for granted ourselves. Thanks for stepping in and helping out!!

Hoopswim said...

I really like this post. Thank you. :-)

Allison said...

Those oh so quiet moments of peace and perspective are priceless. Keep fighting Grady! love you

Travis Gregory said...

I wish I could of been too. You are awesome for doing that! He is a little fighter and your words were great!

SewSara said...

awww poor little baby! i can't imagine watching my child go thru that. how do you know him? i hope he will be ok?

Unstoppable Lindsey said...

Your perspective is very refreshing and healing. Isn't it amazing what happens when we are given those brief moments of reflection? What an incredible experience and little boy!