03 September 2007

Tradition

How do traditions get started and why? My family has been going to the Eastern Idaho State Fair for as long as I can remember, and that's a really long time. The excitement of watching(or clogging in) the parade and then heading to the fair for food, rides, and everything else the fair has to offer. When I was old enough I worked at the fair selling gate admission tickets. I loved seeing friends from my past, making new friends, and watching people come and go all day long. What can I say? I love watching people.
I packed a bag and left for Idaho Friday afternoon. Thinking about our yearly fair traditions made me so anxious to go home. There really is no place like home. Last week was pretty crazy so just knowing that I could drive 2 1/2 hours and be in a place where I could be free from all the worries with work, friends, etc. was incredible. I would be surrounded by people who know WAY too much about me and for some reason still love and accept me. What a great feeling.
My dad takes a week off work to be one of the gate superintendents and I take advantage of the perks that go along with his job. To protect the innocent I won't divulge what perks I receive, but I will point out that the only thing I paid for while at the fair was food so somehow I got into the fair, the bull riding, and the tractor pull for free.
My sister Pip lives on Shilling St which is the street for the parade so we fenced off an area in her front yard and showed up Saturday morning just in time for the police cars to blare their sirens signaling the start of the parade. This year the Idaho Falls firefighters bagpipe band(or group-what do you call a bunch of bagpipers?) played Amazing Grace and it was...amazing. Things I saw during the parade included: horses, go-karts, high school bands, candy being thrown to children, politicians, kids wearing plastic bags as hats, and one of my best friends from elementary school.
Saturday night Pip and I went to the fair with her kids Syden and Avry. We saw the animals-cows, horses, rabbits, reptiles, friends from school(no need to attend my class reunion because I saw everyone at the fair), and we also went to the bull riding event. Time at the fair wouldn't be complete without going to the Bull riding or the rodeo. Sunday Pip, the kids and I visited our Aunt Joyce. Her Schnauzer had puppies and Pip is trying to convince her husband Travis that they need another dog-they already have a boxer named Jack. I predict Jack will eat the puppy if they get one.
Every Labor Day we have breakfast at the fair at a booth called Wimpy's and this year was no exception. I'm not a fan of pancakes, but there's something about the way Wimpy makes his pancakes that I can't resist eating at least one. It's fun to catch up on everything that's happened in the past year with those working at Wimpy's.
Ah, traditions. Who knows how the fair tradition started and it's a simple one, but something I look forward to every year. It's great to be at the fair, sampling new foods, looking at hot tubs and camper trailers, but what I love most is being with my family and creating new memories.
I hope this tradition never dies.

No comments: