16 January 2008

Tell me your life story

I stood in line at Cafe Rio with a couple friends and patiently waited to place my order. Pork tostada with black beans and shredded lettuce please. The lady in front of me turned around and stared at me. "You can have shredded lettuce?" Yes, yes you can and I will. She then proceeded to tell me her life story. I won't go into too much detail even though she didn't spare any details while talking to me. "I'm working for my husband right now and checking his year end books. I walked out of the house with his slippers on and they are way too big."
It was my turn to tell them the order was to go. I'd like a side of fresca please.
"You can have fresca? Is it good?"
It's great. You should try it and it's free.
"Oh no, it can't be free."
I smiled and let her try to pay for a side of fresca.

This is what happened last week at the store while paying for groceries.
Cashier: "Did you find everything you needed?"
Me: "Yes, thank you."
C: "Ooh, today is a rough day. I just found out I'm pregnant and I'm scared to tell my boyfriend."
M: "Do you have a friend or a doctor you can talk to about this?"
C: "Yes, I do have a doctor and I think I'll make an appointment to see her and maybe she can help me. Thanks for the advice."
M: "Good luck. I hope everything works out for you and the baby."
I left the store hoping she would see a doctor and that she would be able to talk to a close friend or family member about the pregnancy. Being told personal stories by complete strangers is something that happens to me frequently, and I'm not complaining. I really enjoy talking to people and hearing about life experiences. Everyone has a story to tell and I think we all long to find someone who will listen. There are times I think about telling a stranger about my life because for some reason it doesn't seem as scary as talking to my friends and family. Crazy? Probably. But there's something about telling someone about your life and knowing that you will probably never see them again.
Enough about that. I'm on my way to the store to meet some new people.

9 comments:

Brittney said...

Yeah, it is kind of weird to hear such details about a total stranger's life, but way to be such an open, friendly, and trustworthy person. People can pick up on these things about you from just meeting you. Exciting! You're amazing! Love you!

A STAR is born said...

That is so crazy. And not typical, at least in my experience. You, my friend, have an aura about you. You're like veritaserum--Something about you makes people spill their guts. I'm pretty sure that's a compliment.

Lohra said...

Is this why you never ask about my life anymore?

SHELLS BELLS! said...

Lohrs- I don't need to ask you about your life because you so freely share :)
Stef- Good word usage.
Brit- Love you too.

Angie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Angie said...

shelley, you are amazing! i wish i had the effect on people that makes them want to tell me everything and anything! i would get such a kick out of it.

Anonymous said...

At least they don't reach over and start hugging you...words are okay, but bodily contact now that WOULD be weird! Maybe you should start your own version of the peanuts character Lucy "psychic 5 cents" on the curb you'd be rich in no time.

Melinda said...

I'd probably spill my guts to you too if I just ran into you. Especially if it was in the line at Cafe Rio. I think there's something in the sweet pork that really makes two become bosum buddies.

Christina said...

Shells -
I would take these events as compliments. And your actions in response to theirs is a definate way to share that light that burns so brightly in you!! Way to go!!

Also - on that bodily contact thing - I've had that - not so fun. Be lucky it's just words they share. :)